The Random Access Information Blog has moved to a new URL address. You can find new posts at: raiwebs.com

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Giant Robot Magazine Headquarters: Pilgrimage or Loitering?


LOS ANGELES, June 21 — After returning from a year long deployment to the Middle East, I returned home for a short stop. A couple of days later I was on a flight to Los Angeles. I went to visit family, attend family functions, and loiter around the Giant Robot Home Office (GRHQ). Before the deployment, I made yearly pilgrimages to Los Angeles. It was rudely interrupted by a war. Now, I was eager to restart that sacred tradition.

Martin Wong, my good friend and co-editor of Giant Robot Magazine, picked me up at the airport.


We had lunch at GR/Eats, a restaurant tied to the Giant Robot brand. They serve delicious and creative Asian fusion dishes at great prices. He ordered me a drink called Green Tea Lemonade. It was simply a green tea mixed with lemonade. It tasted pretty refreshing. New favorite drink (non-alcoholic).

Neko Kika-ider


Most of my days in Los Angeles were spent loitering at GRHQ. On one particular day, I spent all day playing with Eric Nakamura's (co-editor of GR) kitten named Kika. The kitten was named after Kikaider (人造人間キカイダ) because of the calico pattern of the fur on its face. I had a lot of fun playing with the little kitty.

I hatched a daring plot to kidnap Kika from GRHQ. I had the cover of night as a distinct tactical advantage, but I was foiled by a reluctant wheelman (codename: The Culinary Teacher).


I almost forgot how much fun I have just hanging out in Los Angeles. Thanks to everyone at Giant Robot for letting me chill at their office!

No comments: